On Saturday November 5th I attended the DOXA Gala held at Roundhouse Community Centre in Vancouver.
This was an exciting evening that featured amazing chefs such as Chef Hamid Salimian of Diva at the Met and Chef Alvin Pilay of Salt Tasting Room. DOXA served up a vibrant menu of food-themed documentary films from directors such as Sally Rowe and D A Pennebaker. Each film was paired with delicious bites from great local restaurants and a selection of fine wines.
A taste of the following food related films were shown:
- Smoking Fish (dir. Corey Mann and Luke Griswald)
- Ingredients (dir. Robert Bates)
- Florent: Queen of the Meat Market (dir. David Sigal)
- A Matter of Taste: Serving Up Paul Liebrandt (dir. Sally Rowe)
- Kings of Pastry (dir. Chris Hegedus and D.A. Pennebaker)
For each of the documentaries tasty dishes inspired by the films were served from Diva at the Met, Salt Tasting Room, Subeez Café, and Salmon & Bannock restaurants, as well as wines courtesy of Marquis Wine Cellars.
People bid on many fabulous items at the Silent Auction that included vacation packages, tickets to local arts events, artwork, and gift certificates to dozens of local businesses